We are working hard on making arrangements for our mid-October trip to Malindi, Kenya!
Here are some of the academic papers in peer-reviewed journals, and presentations at academic conferences, that have been made possible by the information and data we gather on our trips:
- Jayawardena A, Kahue C, Netterville JL. Evaluation of a pre-surgical otologic screening tool: a pilot study in rural Kenya. Presented at the ENT World Congress, International Federation of Otorhinolaryngological Societies (IFOS), Paris, France, June 26, 2017. Associated video, Kenya Hear Me, awarded Best Video.
- Fagan JJ, Zafereo M, Aswani J, Netterville JL, Koch W. Head and neck surgical subspecialty training in Africa: Sustainable models to improve cancer care in developing countries. Head Neck. 2017 Mar;39(3):605-611. Epub 2016 Nov 23. PMID: 27880008.
- Dwojak S, Sharbel D, Espahbodi M, Fernando S, Ghiam M, Netterville J. "Outcomes of a 2-Week Head and Neck Teaching Course in East Africa." 2016 American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. 18-21 September 2016.
- Fagan JJ, Aswani J, Otiti J, Mushamba V, Liyombo E, Woodson G, Weed D, Zender C, Mannion K, Netterville JL, Wagner R, Zafereo M. Educational workshops with graduates of the University of Cape Town Karl Storz Head and Neck Surgery Fellowship Program: a model for collaboration in outreach to developing countries. Springerplus. 2016 Sep 23;5(1):1652. eCollection 2016. PMID: 27722069.
- Chambers KJ, Aswani J, Patel A, Fundakowski C, Mannion K, Lin DT, Netterville JL. The Value of a Collaborative Course for Advanced Head and Neck Surgery in East Africa. Laryngoscope. 2015 Apr; 125(4):883-7. Epub 2014 Nov 21.PMID: 25417971.
- Netterville JL, Invited Lecturer, "Surgery for Goiter in Africa," Harvard Surgery of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands Continuing Medical Education Course 2014, Boston, MA, December 8, 2014.
- Chambers KJ, Aswani J, Patel A, Fundakowski C, Mannion K, Lin DT, Netterville JL. "The Value of a Collaborative Course for Advanced Head and Neck Surgery in East Africa." Poster presented at the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings, Orlando, FL, May 14 – 17, 2014.
- Mainthia R, Reppart L, Reppart J, Pearce EC, Cohen JJ, Netterville JL. A Model for Improving the Health and Quality of Life of Single Mothers in the Developing World. African Journal of Reproductive Health. 2013 Dec; 17(4):14-25. PMID: 24558778.
- Pearce EC, Mainthia R, Freeman KL, Mueller JL, Rohde SL, Netterville JL. The usefulness of a yearly head and neck surgery trip to rural Kenya. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 Nov;149(5):727-32. Epub 2013 Sep 17. PMID: 24046273.
- Pearce EC, Mainthia R, Netterville JL, Rohde SL. "Impact of a Yearly Head and Neck Surgery Trip to Rural Kenya." Poster presented at the AAO-HNS/F Annual Meeting & Oto Expo, Washington, DC, 9 - 12 September 2012.
- Netterville JL, Keynote Speaker, "Head & Neck Surgery in Third-World Africa," Head & Neck Oncology Summit, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, August 2010.
- Netterville JL, Invited Lecturer: "More than Medicine: Lessons learned from Medical Missions to Nigeria" Middle East Otolaryngology Meeting, Abu Dhabi, UAE, April 2009.
- Mueller JS, Schultenover S, Simpson J, Ely K, Netterville J. Value of rapid assessment cytology in the surgical management of head and neck tumors in a Nigerian mission hospital. Head Neck. 2008 Aug; 30(8):1083-5. PMID: 18528905.
- Netterville JL. "Surgical Treatment of Thyroid and Other Head and Neck Tumors in a Third World Country – Nigeria," 2003 Spring Seminar Series & 17th Annual Pediatric ORL Nurses Spring Meeting, Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Head-Neck Nurses, Inc., Nashville, TN, May 4, 2003.